Strange Networking Problem?

Bill Hayman bchayman at pacbell.net
Tue May 8 07:13:33 GMT 2001

Hello Keith;

Thank you very much for your time and input.  You were correct in that it
was not a Samba problem.  The nic I was using in the backupserver machine
was a Kingston KNE110TX/110B PCI type network card.  I thought, after
checking the hardware support list that it was a supported nic in Red Hat
7.0.  Apparently I was wrong.  After another 4 hours of attempting to locate
some type of setting or configuration file that might be the culprit, I
decided to change out the nic and I substituted one my old "faithful" nics.
I switched to an older Realtek PCI card and that appears to have done the
trick.  everything has been working nicely now for about 14 hours which is
far longer than anything prior.  If the problem should crop up again, I will
keep you posted.  I hope this is helpful to you and I thought it was
interesting that you had a similar problem crop up before.

Thanks again for your help, I am very impressed at the quality of
information and people associated with this group.  Wish others were as
good.

Sincerely,
Bill Hayman