Problem With Winpopup

Anthony Williams aaw at itga.com.au
Tue May 8 07:39:55 GMT 2001

Howdy,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way around this or can point me at
what I'm doing wrong. I am currently trying to rid myself of WINS and
use DNS for all name resolution, so I took the "wins server = xxx..."
option out of my config file and changed the "name resolve order" to
"hosts, broadcast" and the "wins support" to "no". Connecting to file
shares still works but winpopups don't work if the two systems are on
seperate networks ( file shares do ).

So I started running smbclient manually and this is what I found. Then
only two name resolver options that smbclient ever use when the -M
option is given to it are WINS and BCAST. This seems to be so that a
sort of list of available services can be given to the requesting
system. That is all fine and good, but if I take out WINS, how are
systems on a different subnet, going to get this info ? It doesn't
appear as though its smart enough to use DNS to resolve the IP, and then
go and ask the target if it can receive messages ( rec_avail flag ?? ).

Does anyone know if it's possible for me to get this working how I want
?? i.e have all hosts use DNS to resolve names, and have all systems on
all subnets receive popups.

I am running samba 2.0.7 on Solaris 2.6 and FreeBSD 4.x. The PC's are
all running NT 4.0.

Thanks
Anthony
P.S. Pls copy me on the replies as I'm not a subscriber.