Help please

email ccr1 at quickclic.net
Tue May 8 00:05:12 GMT 2001

Sirs,

I have been attempting to fix this problem now for quite some time.  I
only just subscribed to this list, and am hoping that i may find some
assistance here.

Basically, I used to run a Windows NT4 server here with several linux and
windows boxes which ran off of the workgroup DEVELOPMENT.  That Windows
NT4 server was also my proxy and firewall.  I have remoed that server in
an attempt to reduce the overall noise and radiation in this room (I'd
like to have kids one day).  That NT4 server is being replaced by a
Linux server which currently handles the jobs of proxy and firewall with
no problems.

The problem lies with Samba, or more likely, my poor use of samba.

I quickly discovered that my old smb.conf files would no longer work, so
I've done a little reading, and came up with the following smb.conf file;

[global]
	# general workgroup stuff
    	netbios name = Nadya
    	workgroup = DEVELOPMENT
	browseable = yes
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY
	syslog = 2

	# browser election stuff.  I want to always win the election
	os level = 33
	# I used 33 since that was the value an NT4 server used (or so I
	# was led to believe
	local master = yes
	preferred master = yes

	# network config stuff
	hosts allow = 192.168.0. localhost
	interfaces = 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0
	bind interfaces only = yes

[storage]
	path = /storage
	browseable = yes
	comment = storage drive
	volume = storage
	writeable = yes
	guest ok = no

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	read only = No
	browseable = No

Now, when I restart samba using this file, all goes well until I try to
browse the DEVELOPMENT workgroup through network neighbourhood (tried
under windows 98, NT4, and 2000 to no avail);

Development is not accessible.
The server is not configured for transactions.

Now, I've ensured that the spelling is correct (as so often happens when I
try to configure something at 4 am) but nonetheless I get that error
message.  I can still run \\nadya\storage which prompts me for a password,
though only the username and password for root work (my users do not work
anymore for browsing that share).

I've been looking around for assistnace, but I keep hearing from people
who tell me to RTFM, which is driving me nuts since I've been reading
various books on Samba, but I'm still lost.

If anyone can help me out here, I would really appreciate it.  I'm really
looking forward to moving that NT4 server out of here completely to free
up the space, but I can't until i know this works correctly.

Thanks