Failed to set GID PANIC

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Mon May 7 16:03:51 GMT 2001

Hi Virginia,
If you made samba yourself, then the guest account by default will be
'nobody',
in the group 'nogroup'.
On HP-UX, this user and group has a negative UID/GID, which will cause samba
to core.
To fix this,
create a user and group like the following:
/etc/passwd:
smbnull:*:119:101:DO NOT USE OR DELETE - needed by
Samba:/home/smbnull:/sbin/sh

/etc/group
smbnull::101:

And add the line

guest account = smbnull

to your global section of the smb.conf file.

Hope this helps,
Don
 "Reason, not volume, is the primary
differentiator between a discussion, and an
argument."