60 Second Print delays from MSWin Clients

Herb Lewis herb at chomps.engr.sgi.com
Mon May 7 15:49:21 GMT 2001

Many DOS apps "forget" to close the printer port so Win98 waits
before actually printing the file. I have used the following to
shorten printing delays from DOS clients.

Add the following lines after the [386enh] section in the system.ini
file on the Win98 machine to shorten the delay to 10 seconds.

[Network]
PrintBufTime=10
[IFSMGR]
PrintBufTime=10

Dan Albers wrote:

> I have a dot matrix printer connected to our LAN via an AXIS print
> server. I can connect to the printer from a DOS window with 'net use
> lpt1 \\share\printer' or by adding a printer to my Win98 printers. When
> I click properties on the printer and print a test page there is no
> delay to the dot matrix printer. When I print from a DOS application via
> the spooled LPT1, a zero-length file named '<computer name>.<three
> random characters | three digit number>' (eg. computer.tVF250) is
> created in the samba spool directory for the printer. 60 seconds later
> the file prints and the zero length file is gone. How can I reduce the
> delay, hopefully to zero (as when the test page is printed)?
>
> --
> Dan Albers
> Computer Services Director
> KPFA FM 94.1
> 510-848-6767 x 211
>
> --

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177