Samba 2.2.0 printing problem (not driver upload related)

Fouquet, Errol Errol.Fouquet at mms.gov
Mon May 7 13:49:44 GMT 2001

OK ... this is kind of lengthy:

I've got a real "show stopper" of a problem with my Samba 2.2.0 print
server. I'm currently in the process of a proof of concept project here at
work. I'm lobbying very strongly for a Samba solution for our heterogeneous
environment of both Windows clients (W2K) and UNIX workstations (Solaris
2.6, 2.8). I began doing testing in conjunction with the PC team in
comparing their W2K print server with my Samba box (RedHat 7.0 on a Power
Edge 2400). Just when it looked as though Samba was eating the W2K box's
lunch ... a problem. Driver download to W2K clients works fine, printing
works fine, but any attempt by a W2K client to access printing preferences
causes a problem.

Here's what we're seeing:
If a W2K client machine attempt to access "Printing Preferences..." from any
of the Samba printer's properties, they get a Windows fatal message:

	Function address 0x23d5bf9 caused a protection fault. (exception
code 0xc0000005)
	The application property sheet page(s) may not function properly.

If a W2K client machine attempts to access "Properties" from a File->Print
dialog, they get the same error.

This never happens when they are dealing with a W2K printer (shared printer
from the W2K server)!

The W2K clients can print just fine through Samba ... but are not able to
access additional properties.
I've saved a debug level 10 log file ... if anyone (Jerry?) wants to look at
it.

Unfortunately, unless I can remedy this soon, we'll be doomed to use W2K as
our print server solution :-P

Errol Fouquet - UNIX SysAdmin
Minerals Management Service, DOI
1201 Elmwood Park Blvd.