New to linux and samba need simple help.

Chakkris Siri docchak at direcpc.com
Mon May 7 10:19:29 GMT 2001

I installed linux Mandrake 8.0 at home with SMB server installed. I believe
the Samba version was 2.0.7. I have 2 other windows 98 version PC connected
via TCP/IP. One of this PC is connected to Hughes DirecPC Satellite and is
running the internet sharing service. All of the PC include the Linux
machine could access the internet and they ping each other properly. I could
not however share the files. When I use the Samba configuration program
which comes with Mandrake 8.0 by click on Program
(K) -Configuration -Network -Samba Congiguration, and check the "status" I
received message smbd and nmbd not running. How do I start the 2 services. I
checked the smb.conf , looks like everything is correct. I did not modify
setting, just use the default.

Help please...
Chakkris