Users able to connect without password?! (2.0.7)

David Lane dlane at egressive.com
Mon May 7 00:04:33 GMT 2001

Hi folks,

I'm having a strange problem with a client for whom I've set up Samba (2.0.7
- packages samba-common-2.0.7-18mdk & samba-2.0.7-18mdk) on a server with
Linux-Mandrake 7.2.   The client uses both Win95 and Win98 workstations.

The problem is that there appears to be no password checking at all, i.e a
user with a valid login (i.e. a user in /etc/smbuser) can login without a
password or even with a wrong one.  They can cancel out of the subsequent
Windows Logon, but still get their proper [homes] share and other network
drive mappings (using a batch file in the [netlogon] share).

Has anyone ever seen this before??

I have implemented roaming profiles, and am using domain logins.   Note, all
smbusers are members of unix group "staff".

Could this be a shadow passwords issue?  Pam??  I've used Webmin to
synchronise the smbpasswd file to the /etc/passwd file.

My /etc/smb.conf file is below for reference (note, I've commented out
options I tried to see if they'd change the situation, but which didn't make
a difference)

Thanks for any insight anyone might be able to provide.  Regards,

Dave Lane

--------- /etc/smb.conf ------------------

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from UNKNOWN (0.0.0.0)