PC-Netlink access by smbclient failed

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Sat May 5 09:36:55 GMT 2001

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Andreas Huck wrote:

> On a Linux notebook we got samba-2.0.7-105.src.rpm (e.g.)
> and
> mount -t smbfs -o rw,dmask=777,username=testuser,workgroup=testgroup //pcnlserver/testuser\$ /home/testuser/samba

Using the name smbclient in the subject is confusing when you are actually
talking about smbfs. However you could test if removing the file works
from smbclient (from samba-2.2.0).

> > ls -al samba/rr*
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root            0 May  2 16:02 samba/rrr
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root            0 May  2 16:03 samba/rrrr
> testuser at toshiba:~ > rm samba/rrrr
> > rm: cannot unlink `samba/rrrrr': Permission denied
> testuser at toshiba:~ > touch samba/rrrr
> testuser at toshiba:~ > touch samba/rrrrr
> > touch: samba/rrrrr: Permission denied

you rm "samba/rrrr" and then it complains about "samba/rrrrr" ???

One idea is that this is actually a permission problem. I don't know who
has which permission on the samba/ directory on the server. For your
commands to work testuser needs write permission there, and on the files.
Note that the permissions smbfs reports has nothing to do with this.

Note the ownership and permissions of samba/rrrr on the linux side. They
are owned by root and are not writeable by anyone else. You run as
testuser(?) and are of course not allowed to remove files owned by root.
I don't know why you can't create rrrrr, though.

If that is not it, check for any kernel messages. Perhaps smbfs will be
able to say someting about what the server returned. If you are not
running a 2.2.18/19 or 2.4.x kernel, try upgrading.

Finally, NFS may be a better way to share files between Linux <-> Solaris

/Urban