Slow samba with RH7.1

Esteban Salazar esalazar at cs.washington.edu
Sat May 5 02:33:04 GMT 2001

Ever since upgrading my RedHat 6.2 to RedHat 7.1, my samba has been very
slow to open incoming and outgoing connections.  I was getting this
error:

SSL: Error error setting CA cert locations:
error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0)
trying default locations.

but fixed it by adding a line in my smb.conf as per an earlier post on
this mailing list.

ssl CA certDir=/usr/share/ssl/certs

However, this did not fix the slowness, it only got rid of the error
message.  Specifically, when browsing my samba machines shares from any
other location, the shares are slow to open up or prompt for password.
When browsing any shares from my samba machine, they respond reasonably
quickly.  There are no errors either to stderr, log.smb or log.nmb.

Before this upgrade, this linux box was the snappiest unit on this mixed
windows, samba network.

My current version of samba is:

samba-2.0.7-36

My smb.conf is attached.