Samba server and Windows 2000 client

Bill Moran wmoran at iowna.com
Fri May 4 20:52:21 GMT 2001

"Le, Hung M [IBM]" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My name is H M Le, an IBM employee.  We have been using Samba server and
> Windows NT 4.0 client for years.
> Now that we have just had Windows 2000 clients, all of a sudden we can't
> connect to Samba server anymore.
> I understand that there maybe a registry key that we need to change or
> create, but simply can't figure out.
> If you have any ideas, pls let me know.

Look for the option "encrypt passwords" in the samba config. If it's set
to NO, then you'll need to update the registry on the W2K machines to
force them to use clear text passwords. If your network is all NT and/or
W2K, however, the better solution would be to set "encrypt passwords" to
"yes" and leave the NT machines alone.
NT, win98, W2K, and newer versions of w95 use encrypted passwords; older
systems use clear text passwords.
See the docs for more information. There's also some files in the Samba
source distribution about this.

Hope this helps,
Bill