[OT] Re: time server

Noel Noel ntest7 at hotmail.com
Fri May 4 20:15:54 GMT 2001

>Bruce Ferrell wrote:
> >
> > You have to put something like:
> >
> >   net time /set /y
> >
> > in your logon script.  It's a bit faster if you put a specific server in
>like
> >
> >   net time \\server /set /y
> >
> > but it does work here.
>

>Does it annoy anyone other than me that this doesn't work on NT/W2K?
>Reason being, if you log in as a normal user, you don't have perms to
>set the time, and the login script executes as the login user, therefore
>doesn't have perms to set the time. Unless you change the user's perms
>or system policy (thus giving normal user the right to change the time,
>which is bad)
>
>This is off topic, I know, but it's an issue I've been struggling with.
>I'd be interested to hear any solutions.
>
>-Bill

a compiled NTP time server & client for WinNT/2k is available from
http://www.five-ten-sg.com/
This is the standard ntpd for unix compiled for WinNT.  You will need one or
two local machines running as an NTP server that can sync to an outside
source.
source code and docs available from:
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/

Noel Jones