Samba 2.2/Windows 2000

David Gee gee at maya.com
Fri May 4 14:48:06 GMT 2001

ok, I'm sure this is a common problem, but I've tried running through the
archives and haven't had any luck. We recently added a few Win2k boxes to
our network, and I'm having trouble connecting them to a Linux machine
running Samba. I thought it was because we were running an older version of
Samba, so I upgraded to 2.2.0, but haven't had any luck. here's the deal:

We're not using encrypted passwords, and have applied the plaintext password
reg patch to all the nt/9x boxes that need to access the linux box.

I found a Win2k specific plaintext password reg patch on the samba-tng site,
and have applied that to the Win2k machine.

We're using NIS to distribute usernames/passwords, so the smbpasswd file is
empty.

When I try to connect from Win2k, I get this error:

//xxx is not accessable. The remote procedure call failed and did not
execute.

When I look in my samba logs for this machine, I get this

[2001/05/04 09:07:59, 0] smbd/password.c:update_smbpassword_file(322)
  getsmbpwnam returned NULL

I know Win2k uses Kerberos authentication and stuff like that, is this
what's causing the problem? I've been trying to get this to work for the
past two days with no luck. I have an experimental version of samba-tng
running on another linux box, using encrypted passwords, and win2k connects
to it without any problems at all. i'd switch over to tng for everything if
it didn't involve implementing LDAP...

david