Problems compiling samba 2.2

Tim Potter tpot at valinux.com
Fri May 4 07:48:23 GMT 2001

Hanz S Yoro writes:

> > checking whether to support ACLs... no
> > checking configure summary
> > ERROR: No locking available. Running Samba would be unsafe
> > configure: error: summary failure. Aborting config
>
> I also have similar error message.. i tried compiling
> samba-2.2.0 on a slackware7.1 box using

>./configure --sysconfdir=/etc  --bindir=/usr/bin  --sbindir=/usr/sbin --localstatedir=/var

> checking configure summary
> ERROR: No locking available. Running Samba would be unsafe

Are you compiling samba on a NFS partition?  Are any of the
directories you have specified in the configure command on NFS
partitions?  If so do you have a locking daemon running and
working?  I would recommend /var being on a local disk for
running Samba.

Samba tests to see if the directory in which it creates lock
files is capable of fcntl locking.  If locking cannot be done (I
think this actually happens in /var) then Samba cannot be run
safely.

Tim.