Hacked?

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Fri May 4 03:04:34 GMT 2001

Bas wrote:

> Maybe I'm not looking right, but it looks like somebody on the other end is
> root and accessed your ftp server as user ftp.
>
> You should check the manual pages that come with your ftp server.
>
> Good luck,
> Bas.

Bas, that's the problem! Somebody tried to ftp as root into my server! "They
ain't root, because I'm root!"  You know, --me--, my system, I put the
motherboard/hardware together, I loaded Linux, got samba, ftp, ssh, vpn, etc...
working. IT'S MY BOX!  Now, some Korean, "no ethniccentricity implied", has
hackerd my box and I'm (1) worried - what did he/she do and (2) pissed because
someone who shouldn't be showing up in my logs is! I have read Linksys router
pages and man pages that say -- this shouldn't happen. OK, so I'll admit it,
Linksys sucks as a firewall. That still begs the question, who is this turkey
who tried to hack my system, why did he try to do it (we'll never know), and
why with all this great security was whoeveritwas able to stay connected for 41
seconds. Think about it, I'm puzzeled -- not uncommon. My question is what in
the hell do you do in this situation?