Samba Limitations...

Edmund Lam epl at myriad.its.unimelb.edu.au
Fri May 4 01:58:53 GMT 2001

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Tim Potter wrote:

> Edmund Lam writes:
>
> >    Incidentally -- though I should really post to samba-technical --
> > the TDB stuff in Samba-HEAD is broken again. As TDB is potentially very
> > useful, I would like it fixed ASAP. Since this IS Free Software, I
> > guess I should help out rather than moan about it. :) Can Jeremy or
> > anyone else suggest what I can do. Testing and debugging at this stage
> > isn't an option because Samba-HEAD doesn't even compile.
>
> The current version of HEAD is compiling for me.  Have you tried
> doing a clean checkout and trying again?  If that still fails
> follow up by posting the compile error(s) in question.

   Whoa. Most likely I wasn't being clear enough in what I wrote. The
default HEAD compiles cleanly for me, it is with the --with-tdbsam
option to ./configure that breaks HEAD.

   But regardless, .... <runs quickly to double-check>

   Darn it, it didn't compile for me. (Well, technically it compiled,
but couldn't link smbd). I used the following
$ ./configure --with-tdbsam
$ make

   The normal configure works fine.

   Details - mostly RH70-based (ie with patches), Linux 2.2.19,
Samba-HEAD as of Friday, 4-May-2001 11:14 AEST or 1:15 same date UTC.

   ./configure ran successfully. make failed with message
===
[epl at host source]$ make

<snipped a lot>

Linking bin/smbd
passdb/pdb_tdb.o: In function `init_sam_from_buffer':
passdb/pdb_tdb.o(.text+0x15): undefined reference to `pdb_set_mem_ownership'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [bin/smbd] Error 1
===

   From what I can tell, the file source/passdb/pdb_tdb.c:73 is calling
the undefined function pdb_set_mem_ownership(). Did a recursive grep
through the source, only mention of the function in passdb.c.

Thanks

Eddie
---
Systems Programmer                          Email: <epl at unimelb.edu.au>
Systems and IT Infrastructure, Information Division Tel:+61 3 8344-3718
The University of Melbourne, Vic 3010, Australia    Fax:+61 3 9347-4803