BUG: Creating New Folders On SMB (VFAT) Mounted drive

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at matchmail.com
Fri May 4 01:58:44 GMT 2001

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 12:58:05PM +0000, Bill Moran wrote:
> Hopefully this is the same problem I've seen elsewhere (i.e. NFS &
> Netatalk)
> In these cases is it a permissions thing. Under NFS it was caused by
> creating a file on a NFS mount with option "mapall=nobody" This caused
> the file to be created with perms rwxr-xr-x as user nobody. But the
> creater of the file was not logged in as "nobody" and therefore no
> longer had write access to the file. (Thus, could not save over it,
> delete, etc) Very confusing to the average user.
> Under Netatalk, you get behaviour very similar to what you've described
> below. You can read about it here:
> http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/faq.php#2.2

No, the problem is that it tells you a directory that didn't exist before
the paste/mkdir transaction already exists.  After that it asks if you want
to overwrite and you _can_ overwrite after that.

This shows up under vfat mounted partitions, but not ext2.  I can't change
them because they're on zip disks, and meant for windows boxen.

I haven't tried the "all users as root" thing yet, but that won't be a
problem for me.

Mike