Shared Memory Problem

Craig Johnson Craig.E.Johnson at icn.siemens.com
Thu May 3 21:01:22 GMT 2001

I'm running 2.0.5a on an HP 9000 N-class, HP-UX 11.00.  It was compiled with

MAX_OPEN_FILES set to 10000, but the shared memory size was left at the default of

(1024 * 1024).  After a time, we are running out of shared memory and we have to restart

the Samba daemons.  Looking at the documentation for smb.conf, clearly you can change the

shared memory size, though it cautions you that you should be very familiar with the

source code before changing it.  Well, I'm not.

I'm looking for recommendations for a server with approximately 100 Samba users, who tend

to open LOTS of files.  System as above with 1.5GB of RAM.  What should SHMEM_SIZE be?

Should I modify it simply by adding a global entry to smb.conf or do I need to recompile?

Any assistance would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Craig