Strange Problem

Bob Dusek bobd at saintjoe.edu
Thu May 3 20:13:33 GMT 2001

That's where your problem is at....

The root user cannot write files across NFS.  And, Samba runs as root.
You have a couple of options that I know of.

Option 1) physically move some of the home directories from server1 to
server2 so that you aren't trying to rum Samba across NFS.

Option 2) mount the home directories with the "no_root_quash" option.
This will allow the root user from server2 to edit files on server1, via
NFS.

??

I recommend Option 1.  "no_root_squash" is scary..  It can make hacking
lots of fun.

Bob

Samba runs as the root user.

--

Saint Joseph's College --  bobd at saintjoe.edu | http://www.saintjoe.edu
Administrative Computing Center, Bob Dusek...  219-866-6371

Work like you don't need the money.
Love like you've never been hurt.
Dance like nobody's watching