I cause my own problem?

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Thu May 3 18:16:19 GMT 2001

Trevor Benson wrote:

> OK someone tell me if they think this is what caused the problem (me causing
> myself this issue most likely).  I run smbstatus as an easy way to check the
> system and version of samba.  If I compiled a new system, and ran smbd, and
> nmbd. But never attached to browed any directories on the server, is it
> possible that no lock database was created yet, and that's where my error
> initializing it comes from? I noticed that once I realized the server wasn't
> down and attached to it, it was fully functional, and then the next day I
> ran smbstatus and for the first time in multiple rebuilds, received a normal
> no locked files message.  Did I just cause this whole thing and was an idiot
> this whole time?
>
> Thanks,
> Trevor Benson
> Director of Information Technology
> Associated Business Products

You are correct. smbd does not create the databases except from the
child
processes that is created by a new connection. I pointed this out to
Jeremy
but I don't recall his response and unfortunately I deleted it. Just
ignore
the error or run "smbclient -L <machinename>" before running smbstatus
and
you won't get the errors.

herb