BUG: Creating New Folders On SMB (VFAT) Mounted drive

Bill Moran wmoran at iowna.com
Thu May 3 12:58:05 GMT 2001

Hopefully this is the same problem I've seen elsewhere (i.e. NFS &
Netatalk)
In these cases is it a permissions thing. Under NFS it was caused by
creating a file on a NFS mount with option "mapall=nobody" This caused
the file to be created with perms rwxr-xr-x as user nobody. But the
creater of the file was not logged in as "nobody" and therefore no
longer had write access to the file. (Thus, could not save over it,
delete, etc) Very confusing to the average user.
Under Netatalk, you get behaviour very similar to what you've described
below. You can read about it here:
http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/faq.php#2.2

Hope this helps,
Bill