Remote Win98 logging of Samba/Linux box

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Thu May 3 04:03:42 GMT 2001

"Andrew Minett (IVT)" wrote:

> Sent this one in the other day but did not get a reply!
>
> When first time logging into Samba (or share), using an dialup internet
> modem connection, it seems to take between 50-70 seconds to respond to a
> Windows 98 request. You can see the request leaving the modem and can count
> the 50-70 seconds before the modem responds from the Linux Server box. Don't
> see the same problem if I telnet, ftp or ssh to the server.
>
> HELP!!!!!  Any ideas?
>
> Using Linux Server (Mandrake 7.2) running  Samba 2.0.7-18MDK via an dialup
> Internet connection using Windows 95, 98,  2000 or Appletalk as clients.
> Have not connected a VPN at this stage.

Andrew, let me make sure I understand what it is you are doing.

(1) You have a WinXX box with a modem;
(2) You have you Mandrake 7.2/Samba 2.07 box with a modem;
(3) You are dialing out of your WinXX box and trying to dial into you
Mandrake/Samba box using MS dialup networking; and
(4) You hope this results in a tcp/ip connection being established that you can
then access your Samba shares over?

I am not sure I know enough to help or if you can even do what you are trying to
do, but I do know whoever does will want to know:

ARE YOU GETTING ANY ERRORS, if so what are they?

HAVE YOU CHECKED THE LOG FILES ON THE LINUX BOX, any errors there?

HOW ARE YOU HANDLING IP ADDRESSES, static, DHCP?

HOW ARE YOU HANDLING NAME RESOLUTION, host, LMHOSTS, Wins,?

WHAT KIND OF MODEM IS IN THE LINUX BOX, Winmodem?

A little more information would certainly help.

--
David Rankin
Nacogdoches, Texas