Am I messing something simple up?

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Thu May 3 01:41:07 GMT 2001

Joe_Pfaltzgraff at patapsco.com wrote:

> Joe Pfaltzgraff at PATAPSCO
> 05/02/2001 02:41 PM
>
> I posted this once before but no one replied, I'm hoping I'll get a reply.  I'm
> not sure if I'm messing some little thing up, if this is an error or what...  I
> invoke smbd and nmbd with the command:
>
> nmbd -D -d 1 -l /var/samba/log/nmbd
>
> (substitute nmbd with smbd for smbd)  smbd works fine, it creates a log file
> named 'smbd'.  nmbd on the other hand appends a '.nmb' to the file name, so it
> creates a log file named 'nmbd.nmb'  no matter what name I use, it appends the
> '.nmb'  I've done this on two systems now with the same results.  What's going
> on here?

No idea Joe. I just wanted to make sure you got a reply and knew you weren't being
ignored. It would appear that the code for nmbd is hardwired to append the .nmb
extension when the command line log file redirection is invoked. [DO NOT QUOTE ME
ON THIS, I DO NOT KNOW THE DETAILS] Simply my observation. Some of the code gurus
on the list should know.

Good luck.

--
David Rankin