Fax from Windows

Joachim Feise jfeise at ics.uci.edu
Wed May 2 22:21:06 GMT 2001

Mark Symonds wrote:

> [...]

Done that with mgetty+sendfax and the Respond program mentioned earlier in
the thread (of course, it helps that I know German ;-)

> So I started from scratch using some of the same ideas but using
> efax and perl instead.
>
> The trick is that you install a postscript printer (e.g. Apple Laserwriter)
> on the windows machines and point it to the samba server.  Since
> postscript is plain text you can parse it for the phone number and then
> pass that off to efax (efax then automatically converts your postscript
> document to fax format and sends it off.)

The only problem I have with this kind of solution is that it requires
you to have the fax number in the document in a certain format.
Respond does away with this requirement.
I have to admit, though, that the UI of the Respond program looks a bit
home grown. But it works fine.

-Joe