Domain & workgroup on separate subnets?

Kenn Humborg kenn at bluetree.ie
Wed May 2 16:18:06 GMT 2001

I've been fighting with this for a while, and I can't
get it to work, so I'd like to know if it's even
possible!

I've got two subnets .3.x and .4.x which are routed via
a dual-homed Linux box.

The .3.x subnet is the main company network, and runs
an domain BLUETREE.  The two domain controllers are
also WINS servers.  All machines in this network are
domain members.

The .4.x subnet is a test lab network.  I don't want
machines in this network to be in the BLUETREE domain.
I intend to place these machines in a TESTLAB workgroup.
These machines are configured via DHCP to use the two
WINS servers on .3.x above.  (Is this OK?)

I would like browsing to work from both sides so that
the "local" machines will show up in Network Neighborhood
and both BLUETREE and TESTLAB will appear in Entire Network.

The router machine also needs to run Samba as a member of the
BLUETREE domain.

Since the test lab machines will be on and off all the time,
I'd like the router machine to be the local master browser
for TESTLAB.

So, is this all possible?  I really don't want to have to
have a long-running Windows box on the TESTLAB network just
to get browsing working, since I don't have a machine available...

BTW, I've read BROWSING.txt and BROWSING-Config.txt, but they
don't apply to _multiple_ domains/workgroups on multiple
subnets.

Thanks in advance,
Kenn