various small problems with (bugs in?) Samba 2.2

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Wed May 2 13:08:24 GMT 2001

moved to main samna list.

On Tue, 01 May 2001 16:58:35 Patrick Goetz wrote:

> Here is a collection of problems I've encountered with
> Samba 2.2
>
> 1. Log files
>
> I configured Samba with --prefix=/opt/samba.  Consequently,
> by default, I get log files /opt/samba/var/log.nmbd
> and /opt/samba/var/log.smbd .
>
> I'd prefer have a single log file in /var/log, however,
> adding the line
>     log file = /var/log/samba.log
>
> to the [global] section of smb.conf and restarting the daemons
> doesn't seem to do anything -- the logs still get written
> to /opt/samba/var/*.

This works correctly.  Thw two log files is by design.  No
way to override this.  As far as the smb.conf parameter,
[smbd|nmbd] will write to the compile time default until
the config file is parsed.  It's a chicken and egg problem.

> 2. PID files
>
> Ideally I'd like to be able to have an init.d
> script to start|stop|restart smbd and nmbd.  Unfortunately
> I can't find any place where a pid file is written,

Look in $prefix/var/locks/*pid

> I thought smbcontrol was something like apachectl, but
> it appears not to be; i.e. the man page gives no
> indication of how one would use it to start stop

smbcontrol is for sednign messages to smbd and nmbd
proceses.

> smbd/nmbd.  The Debian version of Samba 2.07 does come with
> a init.d/samba script (albeit a terribly fubar'ed one) which
> must work for 2.07 -- is there any way to get this
> functionality in 2.2?

See the examples subdirectory of the samba source
distribution.

> 3. Domain Users
>
> On a W2K machine (with Samba 2.2 PDC), whenever I try to
> add "Domain Users" to the list of users with permissions
> on, say, the spool director (although the same thing
> happens in any permission granting situation), I
> always get the message "Unable to lookup user names
> for display" and nothing is added to the list of users
> with permissions.  Adding individual users from the domain
> works fine.  Perhaps I'm confused about what "Domain
> Users" means -- I just assumed it meant grant
> this permission to anyone connecting from this
> particular NT domain.

Our domain group support is a little incomplete at the moment.

cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org
       http://www.plainjoe.org/                     jerry at plainjoe.org