HELP!!! Can't print over SAMBA (Repost)

M.L. Nongkhlaw mark at shillong.meg.nic.in
Wed May 2 14:03:33 GMT 2001

Funny, instead of getting help, I've had to provide one!

As I've said before, printing from Samba machine to Win98 printer does not
have anything to do with your printcap file (at least not for me, although
I'm using Samba 1.9.15p8 version!). In my case, since my Samba Server is
Unix System 5 machine, I use smbprint to integrate the client printer into
my lp sub-system. I'm sending my version herewith so you can get some
idea. Of course, you'll have to share your Win98 printer!

smbprint follows :
#!/bin/sh
#
# @(#) smbprint.sysv version 1.0 Ross Wakelin <r.wakelin at march.co.uk>
#
#      Version 1.0 13 January 1995
#		modified from the original smbprint (bsd) script
#
# this script is a System 5 printer interface script. It
# uses the smbclient program to print the file to the specified smb-based
# server and service.
#
# To add this to your lp system, copy this file into your samba directory
# (the example here is /opt/lib/samba), modify the server and service variables
# and then execute the following command (as root)
#
# lpadmin -punixprintername -v/dev/null -i/opt/lib/samba/smbprint
#
# where	unixprintername is the name that the printer will be known as
# on your unix box.
#
# the script smbprint will be copied into your printer administration
# directory (/usr/lib/lp or /etc/lp) as a new interface
# (interface/unixprintername)
# Then you have to enable unixprintername and accept unixprintername
#
# This script will then be called by the lp service to print the files
# This script will have 6 or more parameters passed to it by the lp service.
# The first five will contain details of the print job, who queued it etc,
# while parameters 6 onwards are a list of files to print.  We just
# cat these at the samba client.
#
# Set these to the server and service you wish to print to
# In this example I have a WfWg PC called "lapland" that has a printer
# exported called "printer" with no password.
#
# clear out the unwanted parameters
shift;shift;shift;shift;shift
# now the argument list is just the files to print

server=Mark2
service=EPSON-MARK2
password=""

(
# NOTE You may wish to add the line `echo translate' if you want automatic
# CR/LF translation when printing.
       echo translate
	echo "print -"
	cat $*
) | /opt/lib/samba/bin/smbclient "\\\\$server\\$service" $password -N -P  > /dev/null
exit $?

HTH
Mark.