client code page setting for win2k

Mike Brown mike at skew.org
Wed May 2 06:58:04 GMT 2001

I wrote, regarding the lack of translation of filename bytes:
> From what I have seen in the documentation, this is the expected default
> behavior, and I should be able to override it by using the [global] config
> option
>   client code page = 437
>
> However, this seems to have no effect whatsoever. I still get the
> graphical box characters, even after stopping and restarting the server.

I finally figured this one out.

If you use "client code page" to indicate the encoding the client is
using, you must also use "character set" to indicate the Unix system's
filename encoding.

This is in spite of the fact that the smb.conf(5) man page specifically
says that if you use "character set = ISO8859-1" then you must use
"client  code page = 850". This is crap.

So the answer, for the benefit of the archives, is this:

 [global]
    client code page = 437
    character set = ISO8859-1

Works like a charm.