Same error once again.

Thomas Cameron archimage at linux-magic.com
Wed May 2 03:53:55 GMT 2001

Sorry, I should have made clear - I installed on Solaris 8/Sparc.
However, I just got done installing on Red Hat 7, compiling from source.

I ran:

tar zxvf samba-latest.tar.gz
cd samba-2.2.0/source
./configre --prefix=/opt/samba
make
make install
export PATH=$PATH:/opt/samba/bin:/opt/samba/sbin
smbpasswd -a [username]

Then I made sure that the following line was in /etc/services:

swat		901/tcp				# Samba Web Administration Tool

Also, made sure that the file /etc/xinetd.d/swat looks like this:

# default: off
#	       to configure your Samba server. To use SWAT, \
#	       connect to port 901 with your favorite web browser.
service swat
{
	disable	= no
	port	= 901
	socket_type	= stream
	wait 	= no
	only_from = 127.0.0.1
	user	= root
	server	= /opt/samba/sbin/swat
	log_on_failure	+= USERID
}

I restarted xinetd by issuing the command:

service xinetd restart

Then I used Netscape to access SWAT:

netscape http://localhost:901

I then set up the workgroup info, WINS server address, and so on.
Finally, I created a quick start/stop script in /etc/rc.d/init.d:

#!/bin/bash
# smb - script to start/stop Samba
# chkconfig: 235 89 15

case $1 in
  start)
    /opt/samba/sbin/nmbd -D
    /opt/samba/sbin/smbd -D
    ;;
  stop)
    #  OK, this is a little brutal, but it works
    killall nmbd smbd &> /dev/null
    killall -9 nmbd smbd &> /dev/null
    ;;
  restart)
    $0 stop
    $0 start
    ;;
  *)
    echo "Usage:  $0 {start|stop|restart}"
esac

I then ran chkconfig smb reset to set the symlinks in the various
/etc/rc.d directories.

Voila!  When I run /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start (or just "service smb
start"), a quick ps command gives me:

[root at conjurer /root]# ps ax | grep mb
 2604 ?        S      0:00 /opt/samba/sbin/nmbd -D
 2606 ?        S      0:00 /opt/samba/sbin/smbd -D

Hope this helps.

Thomas