More Printing Problems 2.2.0

Mark Peters mcp at abrax.net
Wed May 2 02:37:20 GMT 2001

Finally got printing working between nt4.0 workstation (sp6) and Samba 2.2.0 (rh 7.0) but I am hitting a lot of snags along the way.

1)  'printer admin' must be a global setting, otherwise the APW will not appear.

2)  I cannot find scripts to use with 'addprinter command' or 'deleteprinter command' anywhere.

3)  The nt's seem to be behaving erratically.  When I open the printers folders, sometimes the printer folder hangs (task manager reports that printer folder is not responding), othertimes the printer folder is empty, etc.  A couple of times, after installing a driver, when I tried to view the specific printer properties, I received an error regarding an incorrect slot index??? :(

4)  Documentation is sparse.  I reviewed the most recent samba-HOWTO-collection but it does not provide any concrete examples vis-a-vis smb.conf and dir/file permissions (I realize that there are many ways to configure a system, but a complete sample configuration would be helpful as a starting point).

I've got 30 nt's to migrate.  I don't have I lot of time to putz around.
It looks as if I'll be going back to 2.0.7 for a while.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mark Peters
System Administrator