HELP!! I can't figure it out!!

Edward Muller emuller at learningpatterns.com
Tue May 1 21:06:04 GMT 2001

Somethings to make sure of...

On Windows 98

Make sure that things like NetBios, NETBUIE (SP), IPX/SPX are NOT in the
network configuration (unless you NEED them for something). This will make
sure that windows uses TCP/IP as the protocol for the Microsoft Network(ing)
component (make sure that is IN the list of thing under Network Neighborhood
Properties as well).

Make sure that File/Printer share is turned on. Well, File sharing at the
least.

Make sure that the directory you want to share is shared.

Make sure that the workgroup name is set on the second tab under Network
Neighborhood Properties.

On Linux

Make sure your smb.conf file "workgroup" entry matches the workgroup name
you gave the windows machine.

Umm ... Hmmm ... That's all I could think of. For simple file sharing I've
noticed that the problems usually lie on the Windows side, especially when
dealing with 9X/ME.

So to get to you windows share you can do it via two ways.

1) use "smbclient //windowsmachinename/sharename"

or

2) smbmount (read the docs for that one)

Hope this helps.