ERROR: Can't create or use IPC area. Error was Cannot allocate memory

Tim Gustafson tim at falconsoft.com
Tue May 1 20:22:27 GMT 2001

Hello.

I just installed Samba 2.0.8 onto a shiuny new FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE
machine, and all seems well from the client side of things - I can
smbclient to other servers and access files and the whole nine yards.  I
even have Sharity-Light running and am able to mount shares that way.
However, whenever someone tries to connect to my machine, they get
denied, and I get this in the samba.log file:

[2001/05/01 16:16:08, 0] locking/shmem_sysv.c:sysv_shm_open(667)
   Can't create or use IPC area. Error was Cannot allocate memory
[2001/05/01 16:16:08, 0] locking/locking.c:locking_init(174)
   ERROR: Failed to initialise share modes

The machine is compiled with SYS-V shared memory in the kernel, and I'm
pretty sure that it's working.  Does anyone have any idea what's causing
this?

Thanks.

Tim