samba and cups

Rafael E. Herrera raffo at neuronet.pitt.edu
Sat Mar 31 20:40:55 GMT 2001

Hi,

I've just installed samba 2.0.7 and cups 1.1.5 from the suse distrib. I
also installed the new HP drivers for the DJ printers. Cups prints fine
in my linux box.

I also configured samba. The disks shares work ok. I'm having problems
with the printer shares.

Here are my global and printer configurations:

[global]
   workgroup = workgroup
   guest account = nobody
   keep alive = 30
   os level = 2
   kernel oplocks = false
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   interfaces = 192.168.0.2/16
   wins support = no
   map to guest = Bad User
   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   printable = yes
   public = no
   read only = yes
   create mode = 0700
   directory = /tmp

With the above, the printer shares don't show in my win98 box. If I
replace 'printcap name = cups' with 'printcap name = /etc/printcap', the
printer queues show up in the win98 machine, but when I try to configure
them I get a warning saying that the printer is offline.

I browsed the mailing list archive, and the suggested solution was to
use 'cups' in 'printing' and 'printcap name', but that does not solve my
problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
--
     Rafael