Impossible to obtain the NETBIOS name of a Win95 box using samba 2.0.5..0

Herb Lewis herb at chomps.engr.sgi.com
Fri Mar 30 15:50:30 GMT 2001

Unfortunately with the 2.0.x code this will still not work for
Win9x clients if you have nmbd running on your machine. These
clients will only respond to port 137 (which was why you need
the -r flag) but if nmbd is running it has already bound to
that port and will "eat" your answer so nmblookup will still
not see it. If you must use this and you still want browsing
to work on your machine (you cannot kill nmbd) then you will
have to rsh to another machine not running nmbd and run the
nmblookup command from there.

Gerald Carter wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 07:43:11 Christophe MAILHE wrote:
> >

> > Dear all,
> >
> > I loose hope to be able to obtain the NETBIOS name of
> > a Win95 box using the following command :
> >
> > nmblookup -A ipaddress
>
> Run nmblookup as root and see the -r switch in nmblookup(1)
>
>    -r     Try and bind to UDP port 137 to  send  and  receive
>           UDP  datagrams. The reason for this option is a bug
>           in Windows 95 where it ignores the source  port  of
>           the  requesting packet and only replies to UDP port
>           137. Unfortunately, on most UNIX systems root priv-
>           ilage  is needed to bind to this port, and in addi-
>           tion, if  the  nmbd(8)daemon  is  running  on  this
>           machine it also binds to this port.

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177