Impossible to obtain the NETBIOS name of a Win95 box using samba 2.0.5..0

Christophe MAILHE christophe_mailhe at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 30 13:43:11 GMT 2001

Dear all,

I loose hope to be able to obtain the NETBIOS name of
a Win95 box using the following command :

nmblookup -A ipaddress

Some of my user are using laptops and are connecting
the network by a remote lan access.

The IP address is attributed by the RLA supplier.

I included in the login process (telnet) of our
Administrative AIX server a NETBIOS name check of the
calling machine. If the NETBIOS name if not in the
list of allowed boxes the server does not grant the
access.

If a Winnt box try to login, I don't have any issue.
But for Win95 !!!!

The version of Samba we use is 2.0.5.0.

Below a part of the smb.conf.

Thank for your reply,