Samba - Windows 2000 Client Speed

James Nord teilo at cdt.luth.se
Fri Mar 30 09:50:28 GMT 2001

Bob Kruger wrote:

> I've been running Samba v 2.07 for over a year on a small sub network
> with excellent results.  Win NT 4.0, Win 98, and Win 95 machines all
> connected properly, and transfer speeds and reaction time is quite good.
>
> One of the Win NT machines was just upgraded to run Windows 2000.  The
> connectivity still works, but I noticed a severe degredation in transfer
> speeds to and from the Windows 2000 client.

I have never noticed any degredation in performance from 2000 as
compared to NT or 9x (NT&2k are usually faster than 9x)

So this is most likley a problem with your 2000 setup.

> There is also a signifigant
> delay, sometimes over 10 seconds, when clicking on a share or a folder
> inside of a share on the Win 2000 client.  The Win 98 and NT 4.0 clients
> are still quite fast.

Sounds exactly like a duplex setting problem in your NIC.

If your NIC in the 2000 machine supports FullDuplex, check the setting
that the NIC and make sure it is the same as your Switch/HUB.

There have been numerous problems with stock 2000 drivers that detect
this setting incorrectly.

Regards,
   /James

--
Technology is a word that describes something that doesn't work yet.
	Douglas Adams