Samba Printing to Win98

Duane Penzien duanepz at glis.net
Fri Mar 30 03:32:02 GMT 2001

I too am struggling to make a setup similar to yours work.  I have a Epson Stylus
777 printer on the W98se box.  I am using ghostscript's stp driver with options as
part of a magicfilter to process the dayta (via LPRng) and a simple replacement
for smbprint to send the output to the w98 printer, since I am not using a
password on this share.  If I recall correctly, the smbprint script needs editing
and/or a file somewhere with the passwords and sharename that you want to use.  My
simple version just has

#!/bin/bash
smbpath="/usr/local/samba/bin"
$smbpath/smbclient //daystar/epson2 -c 'printmode graphics; print -; exit'

in it.

As far as setup for the Epson goes, don't plan on sending much text stuff to it if
it's like mine - the
777 only has enough smarts to print 10cpi x 6 lpi text to it; anything else needs
to be rendered for it's graphic mode to print.  I also found the print driver that
shipped with it would loose stuff when the port setting is 'bidirectional' when
printing to it from Samba (and the brain-dead driver resets itself to
bidirectional mode every time the computer is rebooted regardless of what you
selected yourself!)  The only workaround I have found so far is to install the
Epson Esc/P2 driver that comes with W98se alongside the driver from Epson and
share it for the printing from Samba - It has a unidirectional mode that works.

I hope some of this helps.

Does anyone out there have a way for Samba to reliably communicate with a printer
in bidirectional mode on a Win98 box?