Permissions for certain files get zeroed out?

kenneth.leung at syngenta.com kenneth.leung at syngenta.com
Thu Mar 29 22:58:13 GMT 2001

Hello, this is my first posting to the Samba mailing list!

At our company, we are running Samba version 2.0.4a on an SGI Origin 2000.
Our client PCs are running Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000.

We are seeing a problem in which a user can create a document and save it in
one of our Samba shared directories, however if he/she tries to make any
changes and save them, the file's Unix permissions become --------- (no
permissions set). After that, the file becomes inaccessible from the client
machine. Here is the Samba share's definition from our smb.conf file:

[rna-display]
  comment = RNA Dynamics dir
  path = /rna/samba
  read only = no
  create mask = 0775
  directory mask = 0775
  public = yes

This is very strange, especially because the problem only exhibits itself
with certain Windows apps (Photoshop and Acrobat so far). The Samba shared
is mapped as a drive on the client machine.

I am not a Samba expert, but should Unix permissions be getting zeroed out
after trying to update a file on a Samba share?

Thanks for any help!
Ken

Kenneth Leung
IT Administrator