smbclient can't connect to NT workstation "C$" share

Eric Sisler esisler at westminster.lib.co.us
Thu Mar 29 17:46:51 GMT 2001

At 11:20 AM 03/29/2001 -0600, Gerald Carter wrote:

> > I'm using samba 2.0.7 as my NT PDC and I'm wondering if this
> > functionality is missing in this version.  I'm *assuming* that since
> > I'm trying to connect to an "admin" share on a workstation, smbclient
> > is trying to authenticate to the PDC, which isn't working.  This would
> > also explain why a *locally* created share works just fine - because
> > smbclient is authenticating against the share/password on the local
> > workstation.

>Are you using the -W <local machine name>?

I'm using -W <domain name>:

[esisler at shaun esisler]$ smbclient //ghost/c$ -W rat_group
added interface ip=198.243.2.206 bcast=198.243.2.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Got a positive name query response from 198.243.2.200 ( 198.243.2.150 )
Password:
Domain=[RAT_GROUP] OS=[Windows NT 4.0] Server=[NT LAN Manager 4.0]
tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)

Yes, the domain really is "RAT_GROUP" - don't ask, it's a long story!  The
man page for smbclient says the -W switch is for the workgroup name, which
I assume means workgroup or domain.

What I wrote earlier about the locally created share is probably wrong
though.  I looked a bit more closely at how the local shares are configured
and it *appears* to me that they also authenticate against the PDC as
well.  Perhaps I've misconfigured something in smb.conf?  Domain logins
from NT workstations are working so I'm not sure what I might have
missed.  I do have "security" set to "user" - should this be "server" or
"domain"?

-Eric

Eric Sisler
Library Computer Technician