Archive bit

Per Olofsson per.olofsson at gd.se
Thu Mar 29 07:09:07 GMT 2001

Hello

I have a question about the DOS/NT archive attribute.
I have an application  ( running i NT ) that changes the attribute archive
on a samba volume ( UNIX Solaris ). The user that is logged in to
sambavolume is not the same user that own the file The problem is that the
owner of the file that the the application want to change attribute on
could be a number of different users ( but all members of the same group ).
But the user that the application has logged in to always are the same (
also member of the same group ). The UNIX security on the file is read and
write for user group and other. As i understand the DOS/NT attribute
archive is transfered to the execution bit for user. So i anderstand that a
group member user cant change a user permission.
Is there any solotion on this problem. My solution now is to let the
application logon with the most common user. Byt when the file is created
with another user i get security problem, and cant set the archive attribute.

Regards

Per Olofsson
Gefle Dagblads AB
SWEDEN