Read-only attribute lost when copying to Samba share

Michael Kennard michael at byu.edu
Wed Mar 28 17:36:27 GMT 2001

When I copy a readonly file from my local PC hard drive to a Unix drive
mapped using Samba, the readonly attribute is lost, but only if I overwrite
an existing file.  If the file doesn't exist yet on the Unix drive, the file
is created and the read only attribute is preserved.  I need to overwrite
existing files and preserve the readonly attribute.

I've tried changing the 'delete readonly' setting to yes but it doesn't
help.  I've also played around with the 'create mask' but that doesn't help.
The result is the same whether I use Windows Explorer or using xcopy /r /k
from a batch file (/r copies over read-only files, /k preserves the
read-only attribute).  I'm using Samba 2.0.7 on a DEC.  Is this a known bug?
Are there any work-arounds?  Thanks.

Michael J. Kennard          Environmental Modeling Research Lab
email: michael at byu.edu      242G CB BYU, Provo, UT  84602
http://www.emrl.byu.edu     ph 801.378.2812, fax 801.378.2478