Samba windows mount problem - some files and directories can't be seen even though they exist!

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Tue Mar 27 22:48:55 GMT 2001

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Phill Coxon wrote:

> There doesn't seem to be a logical connection to the problem. Originally
> I thought maybe it was files 4-5 sub-directories deep, but that's not
> the case.  Files appear in some directories and just disappear in others.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions why files and directories won't appear
> under the smbfs mount under Linux and how I can fix this?

Which kernel do you use? (uname -a)

If below 2.2.18, upgrade. There are known bugs related to NT servers
and long directories.

If you do use 2.2.18/19/2.4.2, kernel log messages + some more info would
be nice.

A zip of the actual files of one dir that fails, or a list of the
filenames in one dir that fails. Generate a dummy dir and verify that
smbfs fails on that, if your data/filenames are private.

Off-list if it is large (put it on a http/ftp if it is really large).

A tcpdump tracefile is useful if this isn't a simple "it fails on long
dirs" bug. But the other info first.

/Urban