samba 2.0.7 on Solaris 2.6 - Running from alternate directory

Rod.Kruse at soe.securicor.co.uk Rod.Kruse at soe.securicor.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 17:11:59 GMT 2001

We have Samba running on many UNIX boxes but this is the first time we have
tried to install to a path different from /usr/local/samba

Although the configure and Makefile appear correct and place the files into
our preferred path (/data2 as opposed to /usr) whenever we run testparm or
try to start smbd/nmbd it is looking for smb.conf under
/usr/local/samba/lib and a locks directory under /usr/local/samba/var

I have obviously missed something very obvious but cannot see what it is
for the life of me...  :(

Any assistance would be appreciated.