username doesn't work

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Tue Mar 27 16:50:27 GMT 2001

Hi Brain,
This parameter is really only useful in share level security,
where a password is passed in the tconnX smb.  In user level
security, you never get to this point, because you have to pass
thru the sessionsetup&x smb, which is going to pass a USERNAME
and PASSWORD to the server, and the server is either going to
validate it or NOT. if NOT (and smbclient without a -U will pass
the UNIX username that you are running it from), then you never
get to the point where a tconnX is done.
If you want to make sure (in userlevel security) that ONLY
mary or jack can access this share, you could use the
'valid users= mary,jack' instead under user level security.
This may all be moot, if you really are using share level security
(security = share in the global section of smb.conf); but since
you didn't show that part of the smb.conf, I'm making a guess here
that you are using the default of security=user...
Let me know if I'm off here!
Hope this helps,
Don