Mounts on Mac, Linux but not Win98 - bad password

git at bmts.com git at bmts.com
Tue Mar 27 09:40:31 GMT 2001

Hi Micheal.

By default, Samba uses Plain text passwords.

since Windows 95B (or thereabouts) Windows no
longer sends plain text passwords by default. the
proper way to fix this is to configure Samba to
use encrypted passwords (I think there a
security.txt or similar file in the Samba
documentation.) Alternatively, there is a Windows
Registry change that will enable plain text
passwords in windows. The file network.txt in the
Windows directory contains a section on Samba
near the very end that tells you what is needed.

> I am trying to set up Samba for the very first
time in my life on a SlackWare
> Linux 7.1 system.  I'm using kernel 2.4.2, and
the Samba 2.0.7 that comes
> precompiled with Slackware 7.
>
> I'm only moderately clueful at this point, but
I have experience with other
> Linux and networking stuff.  I can build Samba
from sources if you think that
> would help.
>
> I ran through the diagnostic tests given on the
Samba page somewhere and
> worked out a few problems already, but failed
with "net view" as discussed below.

> The Linux laptop is named kingofswing.
>
> I can mount it right away from a Macintosh
running Thursby's DAVE
> (http://www.thursby.com)
>
> I can mount it from itself with smbclient using
either the IP address or the
> server name:
>
> smbclient //kingofswing/smbtest
> (prompted for password, mounts just fine)
>
> But I can't get on from Windows 98.  I've tried
two different usernames one
> Windows 98, which both match users on
kingofswing, and I'm sure I've got the
> passwords right:
>
> net view \\KINGOFSWING
>
> error 86: the specified network password is
incorrect...

> It doesn't help to force a username with "user
= mike" in any of the sections
> of my smb.conf file.
>
> I'm not using a DNS nameserver for any of my
local hosts, these are three
> machines on a LAN.  I have host names in
the /etc/hosts file on kingofswing.

> I found I needed to specify both my machine
names and my network address under
> "hosts allow" to have the shares shareable to
the Windows machine (Bjarne).
> I'm pretty sure my hosts allow is right.  I
don't have a hosts deny section.

> I've pored through the diagnostic tests and
while there _were_ things wrong
> that I have fixed, I can't find anything I can
do that makes a difference.

> Thanks for any enlightenment you can give me.
>
> Mike
> --
> Michael D. Crawford
> GoingWare Inc. - Expert Software Development
and Consulting