Fwd: Win98 domain logons unreliable

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Tue Mar 27 01:25:34 GMT 2001

Thus spake MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1):

> Any chance you have an allow/deny hosts line in your smb.conf?
> I remember something about reverse lookups causing some intermittent
> problems, but it's late night here, so don't hold me to it...

Thanks for the response.  No, /etc/hosts.{deny,allow} are empty, and
there are no '{allow,deny} hosts' lines in my smb.conf.

The only thing I get in my logs is:

[2001/03/26 16:49:46, 1] nmbd/nmbd_processlogon.c:process_logon_packet(70)
  process_logon_packet: Logon from 10.0.0.234: code = 0x0

I'm not sure if I included this before.  Also, my hostname is only 4
characters; I've heard also of problems with longer names.

Hm, odd.  Now that I look at the code, I see where the DEBUG statement
is that creates that entry, but in the switch(code) {} statement below
it, there's another DEBUG line,

DEBUG(3,("process_logon_packet: Domain login request from %s at IP %s \
user =%s token=%x\n", machine,inet_ntoa(p->ip),user,token));

which I'm not seeing in my log, even though my log level is at 4.

Wil
W. Reilly Cooley                         wcooley at nakedape.cc
Naked Ape Consulting                      http://nakedape.cc
LNXS: Linux/GNU for servers, networks, and   http://lnxs.org
people who take care of them.  *Now with integrated crypto!*
irc.openprojects.net                                   #lnxs

Mencken and Nathan's Fifteenth Law of The Average American:
	The worst actress in the company is always the manager's wife.