Can't install printer driver - Win2k, HP LJ6p, Samba 2.2.0 Alpha3

Jim Hubbard jim_hubbard at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 27 00:45:57 GMT 2001

samba 2.2.0 alpha3 does great serving files, however
I can't print to the printer on my SGI box (running samba).

With Win2k, I keep having problems installing the driver.
(I got the latest for my LaserJet 6P from the HP site).

If I'm looking at the printers directory via explorer, I
can double click on the printer icon and see the queue
(which is empty), but if I try to look at the properties,
I get: "Printer properties cannot be displayed. Operation
could not be completed."

If I double click on the icon from the root directory, I
get: "Before you can use the printer '\\home\PostScript,'
it must be set up on your computer. I click Yes and then
get the error "Could not conenct to the printer. You either
entered a printer name that was incorrect or the specidied
printer is no longer connected to the server."

If I double click it again, I get "The server on which the
'HP LaserJet 6P/6MP' printer resides does not have the correct
printer driver installed." I click OK

Then "The printer driver you selected is either not compatible
with your current version of windows, or it may not be available."

Here is my smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = MONROE
        netbios name = HOME
        comment = Samba %v
        read only = No
        printer name = lp

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        create mask = 0640
        hide dot files = No
        browseable = No

[print$]
        path = /usr/local/samba/printer
        write list = ntadmin
        guest ok = Yes

[root]
        path = /
        force user = root
        force group = sys

[PostScript]
        comment =
        path = /tmp
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        printer name = PostScript
        oplocks = No
        share modes = No

Thanks for any assistance!
Jim.

PS. I have checked the archives, but can't seem to
find the answer.