Samba 2.2 alpha3 released

William R. Knox wknox at mitre.org
Mon Mar 26 15:08:07 GMT 2001

Pardon the somewhat off-topic reply. LPRng will not allow a non-root user
to use the -U flag by default. I couldn't tell you why it worked before.
However, you can edit your lpd.conf file and add the line
"allow_user_setting=name_of_smb_user" to allow the user as which the samba
processes run (in our case nobody) to use this flag. This works like a
charm for us here. Good luck!

			Bill Knox
			Senior Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst
			The MITRE Corporation

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Fouquet, Errol wrote:

> Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 07:16:40 -0700
> From: "Fouquet, Errol" <Errol.Fouquet at mms.gov>
> To: 'Jeremy Allison' <jeremy at valinux.com>, samba at samba.org,
>      samba-ntdom at samba.org, Samba technical <samba-technical at samba.org>
> Subject: RE: Samba 2.2 alpha3 released
>
> Jeremy,
>
> First off, I haven't tested alpha3 yet ... but I am using alpha2.
> It appears that setuid binaries are not honored with 2.2a2. Perhaps this is
> intentional.
>
> What I noticed was all print requests sent to Samba never got spooled up
> with LPRng. I set the debug level to 3 for smbd and the logs reported that
> my "lpr" command "gave a 1".
>
> In order to catch output from the lpr command itself, I created a wrapper
> script and redirected the output to a file. After attempting another print
> request, the lpr output was complaining that the "-U" option can only be run
> by root (my print commands in smb.conf all use the "-U" option). The odd
> thing is that the lpr command is setuid root and the previous version of
> Samba functions fine with this option.
>
> Errol Fouquet - UNIX SysAdmin
> Minerals Management Service, DOI
> 1201 Elmwood Park Blvd.
> New Orleans,  LA  70123
> Phone: (504) 736-3255
> Fax:   (504) 736-2464
> email: errol.fouquet at mms.gov
> http://www.gomr.mms.gov

[original message deleted to save electrons, a precious natural resource]