undesired root password change

Rashkae git at meaford.com
Mon Mar 26 10:46:18 GMT 2001

You seem to be missing some lines in your Security Section. I'm pasting
the following from my smb.conf. Again, is is from a Linux system, you may
need to adjust slightly for BSD.

# The following are needed to allow password changing from Windows to
# update the Linux sytsem password also.
# NOTE: Use these with 'encrypt passwords' and 'smb passwd file' above.
# NOTE2: You do NOT need these to allow workstations to change only
# the encrypted SMB passwords. They allow the Unix password
# to be kept in sync with the SMB password.
;  unix password sync = Yes ;  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
;  passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n

Note, the above two lines are all 1 line.