Login Failure

Jeroen Heijungs Jeroen.Heijungs at Het-Muziektheater.nl
Mon Mar 26 07:28:53 GMT 2001

I do not know anything about the internals of Samba, I can only describe my
experiences with the "login problem", maybe it helps someone.

We also had the problem that Samba at first did not allow the login from a
workstation, this especially happend after a long period of no logins
(usually it took a few hours). In the logs you could see the following:

Workstation log
	[2001/03/20 13:35:32, 0, effective(0, 0), real(0, 0)]
lib/util_sock.c:write_socket_data(543)
	  write_socket_data: write failure. Error = Broken pipe
	[2001/03/20 13:35:32, 0, effective(0, 0), real(0, 0)]
lib/util_sock.c:write_socket(569)
	  write_socket: Error writing 4 bytes to socket 6: ERRNO = Broken pipe
	[2001/03/20 13:35:32, 0, effective(0, 0), real(0, 0)]
lib/util_sock.c:send_smb(757)
	  Error writing 4 bytes to client. -1. Exiting
Log.smb
	[2001/03/20 13:35:32, 1, effective(0, 0), real(0, 0)]
lib/util_sock.c:client_name(1010)
	  Gethostbyaddr failed for 172.22.2.10

I have tried several things: WINS, Lmhosts, no Hosts allow parm, several
parms at the Client, IP-adresses in /etc/hosts
Nothing worked!

The only thing that did work was the IP-adresses AND the Netbiosnames in
the /etc/hosts file.
No more trying for 3-4 times, no more Gethistbyaddr failed, no more Brokne
pipe etc, etc.
I don't understand this. At first I had put only the IP adresses in the
/etc/hosts file because someone suggested this a few weeks ago, he did not
understood this either but it worked for him. I had not put the
Netbiosnames in there because it was not neccesary and I didn't see what
its good for. But after weeks of trying and nothing working, I finally put
also the Netbios names in there (this was again suggested by someone on the
list) and suddenly everything worked fine. Again I have stripped everything
else (WINS, Lmhosts etcetc), and it still works.

So my conclusion is that only the combination of IP-adres and Netbiosname
in the /etc/hosts file is enough to get everything work fine. I am not
really happy with this (if you have lots of clients it is a lot of
administration) and I don't understand why it works. But it works.

hope this helps
Jeroen Heijungs
Het Muziektheater
Amsterdam, The Netherlands